Lejac Residential School
The Lejac Indian Residential School was operated by the Catholic Church under contract to the Canadian government from 1922 to 1976 (54 years). Being in the heart of Dakelh (Carrier) territory many of the thousands of children that attended the school were of Dakelh descent. However, many children from other communities were brought to Lejac including Gitxsan, Wet'suwet'en and Sekani.
The school was named after Father Jean Marie Lejac who was a Oblate missionary who co-founded the mission at Fort Saint James in 1873.
After the school was closed in 1976 the land was transferred to Nadleh Whut'en First Nation and the buildings were razed. All that remains today are the cemetery and the Rose Prince memorial.